Third Roughrider player charged with aggravated assault
Published Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:38AM CST
Last Updated Friday, September 13, 2013 1:19PM CST
A third Saskatchewan Roughriders' player was to appear in provincial court Friday charged with aggravated assault.
Eron Lamar Riley, 26, joins teammates defensive back Dwight Anderson and receiver Taj Smith who have also been charged with the same offence following a fight at a Regina nightclub last month that sent 20-year-old Jonathan Mukendi to hospital with serious injuries last month.
Officers were called to a report of a fight at nightclub in the 2000 block of Dewdney Avenue shortly before 3 a.m. on Aug. 18.
Anderson, 32, and Smith, 29, were both granted release on an undertaking following a brief court appearance Thursday morning.
Both players were whisked away by Rider officials to a waiting van. Their next court date is set for Oct. 8.
At a news conference Thursday, Roughriders general manager Brendan Taman said the team had heard rumours about the incident before they were notified by police Wednesday.
“We hear a lot of different things,” Taman said. “I’m not going to lie to you and say we didn’t hear rumours, but to the extent of what was going on, we didn’t really know.”
Taman said the two players currently aren’t suspended, and the team has the option of putting them on the field for this Saturday’s home game against the Toronto Argonauts. Both players missed practice Thursday morning at Mosaic Stadium.
The team plans to learn more about the allegations against Anderson and Smith before deciding what to do next.
When asked if the situation could derail a possible championship season for the Riders, Taman replied, “it could, or it could make them even closer."
“We have a good group of guys and a good group of coaches, and we’ll rely on them heavily,” Taman said.
“These two kids will get through it however they get through it, and we’ll move on and play Toronto.”
With a report by CTV Regina's Wayne Mantyka