Skip to main content

After a fire nearly destroyed everything, Big Bob's Meats was up and running a week later

Just over two weeks after a fire nearly destroyed everything, Big Bob’s Meats is up and running in a temporary space.

The business was able to keep its full staff of six employees and was up and running within a week of the fire.

No injuries were reported in the fire that destroyed all but the back part of the shop where a freezer and smoker were located.

A nearby reefer trailer that contained customers’ orders was also spared from the fire that was believed to have started in the slaughter plant.

Regina Fire said it was called to the scene around 1:29 a.m. on April 27 and arrived to a significant amount of fire coming from the roof of the building.

Crews had the fire under control around 7:30 a.m.

The temporary space is an old Quonset and is located on the same property where the fire was, just north of Regina off Highway 6.

It’s a much smaller building but like much of the past 36 years, it’s business as usual.

Owner Kelly Garchinski said things will look a lot different for them in the near future.

“If you come back here in about one year’s time you’ll see a brand new building sitting right where the burnt one is,” Garchinski said.

The new building will be larger with a new retail store and a nicer work area and more up-to-date equipment, Garchinski said.

At the time of the fire, Big Bob’s Meats was in the midst of filling an order from George Gordon First Nation that was the largest in the business’s history.

That order has now been completed.

-- With files from Gareth Dillistone. Top Stories


DEVELOPING All sides calling for Speaker Rota to resign, what happens if he does?

Pressure is ramping up for House of Commons Speaker Anthony Rota to resign, with all parties now publicly calling for him to 'do the honourable thing,' and vacate the Speaker's chair over his invitation to and the House's subsequent recognition of a man who fought for a Nazi unit during the Second World War.

Ontario businessman loses $38K in cheque-cashing scam

An Ontario businessman says he has to pay about $38,000 after he was the victim of a cheque-cashing scam and failed to immediately report the fraudulent activity to his bank. The businessman says that the reason for the delay is because he doesn't use online banking.

Stay Connected