Regina Public high schools moving online ahead of final exams as COVID-19 cases rise
The Regina Public School Division is preparing to temporarily move all of its high schools to remote learning.
All Regina high school classes will go online from Jan. 20 to Jan. 24, according to a letter sent out to parents.
The move is an effort to reduce the risk of high school students missing their scheduled final assessments, which are set to start Jan. 25.
Final assessments may be in-school or remote, as determined by the requirement of the class and the teachers’ discretion.
On Monday, director of education Greg Enion sent out a letter to parents highlighting the continued challenges COVID-19 is placing on schools and staff.
Last week, there were 526 self-reported positive COVID-19 cases in Regina Public Schools, with 53 of those cases being in staff. Seven classrooms had moved to remote learning.
“School operations have been strained as teaching, administrative and facilities staff have had to cover for absent colleagues,” Enion said in the letter.
“At the same time, the availability of substitute staff, for both teaching and support, have also been in very short supply.”
Enion is warning parents that changes to in-class learning may be made “on short notice” and families should be prepared for the contingency of remote learning.
If students cannot attend their final exams due to COVID, their grade will be based on their completed course work. If their final exam drops their mark, it will not be counted.
School divisions across the province are reporting similar volumes of COVID-19 cases in classrooms.
Between Jan. 10 and Jan. 16, Prairie Valley School Division (PVSD) reported 212 positive rapid test results.
“We are in contact with public health several times a day,” said PVSD spokesperson Ian Hanna.
There are 39 schools in PVSD with 8,900 students. Hanna said COVID-19 has impacted all but three or four schools in the division.
On Tuesday, outbreaks were declared at Indian Head High School and Greenall School in Balgonie.
Effective Jan. 19, Indian Head High School will be transitioning to online learning until Feb. 1.
The Greater Saskatoon Catholic School Division has temporarily moved a “handful” of classrooms to remote learning, according to its communication consultant Derrick Kunz.
Last week, 799 staff and students self-reported positive test results to the division.
Kunz said there are some staffing challenges, as teachers, education assistants and administrative staff get sick. He said if substitutes are not available, schools are finding ways to shuffle staff around. However, “some pockets are seeing strain.”
Saskatoon Public Schools are posting similar case numbers. Last week, 605 students and staff self-reported positive results. As of Tuesday, seven classrooms and two schools in that division were operating remotely.
According to Saskatchewan’s chief medical health officer, about one quarter of COVID transmission happens in the classroom.
Dr. Saqib Shahab said in-class learning is important for students, and proper masks, vaccinations and physical distancing over the lunch hour can make a big difference.
“We should certainly try to go to school. If you test positive, stay home,” Shahab said.
“But minimize our non-essential after-school and after-work contacts as much as possible to minimize disruptions either at school or work.”
According to the Ministry of Education, there are no additional resources being offered to schools on top of what was given last year.
Kevin Gabel, executive director of the programs branch in the ministry of education, said $150 million was allocated to Saskatchewan schools last year to help with the COVID-19 response and implementation of remote learning. Gabel said $35.9 million of that funding is specifically to support increased costs during this school year.
According to Gabel, all schools work directly with their local medical health officers when deciding to move classrooms online. The government continues to make in-class learning a priority.
“In-class learning is the best way forward due to the mental health of students,” said Gabel, adding school divisions are doing an “admirable” job finding solutions.
“One school division is redeploying some of their high school staff to the elementary schools now that they’ve gone online.”
Regina Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
By now it's as predictable as the calls for thoughts and prayers: A mass shooting leaves many dead, and wild conspiracy theories and misinformation about the carnage soon follow. Within hours of Tuesday's school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, another rash began as internet users spread baseless claims about the man named as the gunman and his possible motives.
Tens of thousands of Ontario residents are facing another day without power as restoration efforts continue following last weekend's vicious storm.
A fire in the neonatal unit of a hospital in Senegal has killed 11 newborns, President Macky Sall said. Only three infants could be saved.
Conservative Party of Canada leadership hopefuls Scott Aitchison, Roman Baber, Patrick Brown, Jean Charest, Leslyn Lewis, and Pierre Poilievre squared off in the second official party debate on Wednesday night in Laval, Que.
Canada is committing an extra $1 million to help the international community investigate sex crimes by Russian troops in Ukraine. Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly said Canada would give the extra funds to the International Criminal Court to help it investigate sexual violence toward women, and also crimes against children.
Frustrated onlookers urged police officers to charge into the Texas elementary school where a gunman's rampage killed 19 children and two teachers, witnesses said Wednesday, as investigators worked to track the massacre that lasted upwards of 40 minutes and ended when the 18-year-old shooter was killed by a U.S. Border Patrol team.
Families are sharing photos and stories of their loved ones, who lost their lives in a mass shooting in Texas that killed at least 19 children and two adults on Tuesday afternoon.
Several parts of the country, including British Columbia and Canada's Maritime provinces, are likely to see wetter-than-normal conditions this summer, according to AccuWeather's annual summer forecast.
The Public Health Agency of Canada says it has now confirmed a total of 16 cases of monkeypox in the country, all in Quebec.
The Prime Minister toured the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization, which is working to develop a COVID-19 vaccine.
Saskatoon Police Service says that the use and presence of potent new synthetic opioids known as nitazenes are difficult to track and monitor.
A 48-year-old semi-truck driver was killed in in a rollover near Meadow Lake on Tuesday.
A new report out of the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) has found that most Manitobans have positive experiences with the health-care system in hospitals.
The Manitoba Government could turn to the military for help as it struggles with staffing shortages, overcrowding, and in some cases, temporary closures of emergency rooms.
The Manitoba government is hinting it may allow more alcohol sales through private channels to boost customer convenience.
The City of Calgary has recruited three people from the commercial real-estate sector in an effort to get a new event centre to replace the aging Scotiabank Saddledome.
After a massacre at a Texas elementary school, some are looking into safety protections against gun violence in Calgary's school system while mental health experts are offering advice for difficult conversations about mass shootings.
Those who haven't received their bill by the first week of June are asked to contact 311.
If you visit downtown Edmonton in the next 11 days, you might see some strange and unusual sights. Art installations and musical performances are popping up throughout the area as part of Downtown Spark.
Even though they cheer for opposite teams, a proposal by a Flames fan at Game 4 of the Battle of Alberta received a resounding "yes" from the Oilers-loving bride to be.
The body of a missing canoer has been located in northeast Alberta.
Was your home damaged by the Ontario storm? Insurance companies say payouts could take weeks to process
The insurance industry says it could take up to six weeks to get an idea of how many hundreds of millions of dollars in pay outs will be required from the weekend storm that brought death and destruction to Ontario and Quebec, but that early estimates are substantial.
Police have released new video of a recent incident in which a vehicle was caught doing doughnuts and speeding along the shoulder of busy Ontario roadways.
People all across Ontario are getting creative when it comes to netting a secondary income, otherwise known as a “side hustle,” and many are turning to secondhand economies thriving on online platforms.
NEW THIS MORNING
NEW THIS MORNING | Here's what you need to know about the storm cleanup in Ottawa today
Hydro Ottawa is hoping to energize hydro lines in the Merivale Road area today, as the cleanup continues following last Saturday's devastating storm.
The president of Hydro Ottawa says "with a little bit of luck" power will be restored along the Merivale Road area on Thursday, bringing power to another 15,000 to 20,000 customers still in the dark following Saturday's storm.
The Ottawa Catholic School Board says all schools with power will be open on Thursday, but 14 schools without power will remain closed.
The decision to focus on urgent and emergency health care to avert long waits played a key role in B.C.’s current primary care crisis, and the costlier care is compounding the problem.
A social media video that captures the moment a man gets Tasered by a Vancouver police officer is prompting calls for more training for police going out mental health calls.
A judge has refused to grant a B.C. cannabis company an injunction against a man who used a list of email addresses the company accidentally sent to all shareholders against it.
Quebec's public health department is set to give its first press conference on the growing monkeypox outbreak as the province recorded its 16th confirmed case Wednesday.
Quebec politicians were not pleased with the federal Liberals' comments on Bill 96 and Bill 21, firing back with a slew of protests and even raising sovereignty as the solution.
Several of the six aspiring Conservative leaders expressed their opposition to Bill 96 during a French-language debate in Laval on Wednesday night, but others shied away from the opportunity to express their views on the issue.
Authorities are investigating Wednesday after the body of a porpoise was discovered on a beach near Victoria.
Victoria police say three men were arrested after a random bear spray attack occurred on Monday.
A British Columbia company that was once at the forefront of the booming plant-based meats industry is shuttering stores and production plants as it struggles to survive.
As the inquiry into Nova Scotia’s mass shooting moves its public proceedings to Truro, many of the family members affected by the tragedy and their lawyers are boycotting the proceedings over the next week.
Former Chief Anchor Steve Murphy offers a timely perspective on the Mass Casualty Commission and the difference 30 years after the Westray inquiry.
Speaking off-script at an event in Halifax Wednesday morning, Canada's Minister of Public Safety said he was gutted by the latest mass shooting south of the border - the 27th in a school this year alone.
Sault Ste. Marie city council is asking staff to prepare a report on group homes. This comes after Ward 1 Coun. Paul Christian brought forward concerns this week about two such homes.
There are currently a dozen statues at the Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes property, and all are from the 1950s.
It’s a sign that summer is on the horizon. Farmers’ markets are opening in cities and towns across the north.
New details are emerging about the tragic incident that killed 27-year-old Shelby Humble-Neale on Saturday.
Waterloo regional police say evidence of gunfire found in McLennan Park in Kitchener is connected to another shooting incident in the nearby area of Windflower Drive and Windflower Crescent.
Two 29-year-old men have been seriously injured following a collision in Baden, Ont., with one needing to be airlifted to a hospital outside the region.