Sask. school divisions adjust to discontinued COVID-19 classroom contact tracing
School divisions in Saskatchewan are adjusting their practices for communicating COVID-19 cases in the classroom following directive from the provincial government.
As of Friday, Saskatchewan parents and caregivers are no longer required to tell schools if their child has COVID-19.
Shawn Davidson, the president of the Saskatchewan School Boards Association (SSBA), said this is a big change for all schools and their members.
“We will adapt to that change and do as the health officers direct us to do,” Davidson said. “It certainly does add a degree of simplicity to the contact tracing piece.”
He said over the past few weeks, school divisions have been challenged with additional work brought on by contact tracing.
“It’s health’s work and we really struggled with the capacity to get that done, so it certainly simplifies some of that work for us,” he said.
Davidson said school divisions are hopeful and confident parents will “do the right thing,” by keeping their children home if they’re sick.
Previously, classrooms would switch to online learning if COVID-19 exposures or cases reached a certain threshold.
Since cases are no longer being reported, there will be changes to how this is conducted. However Davidson said it’s not the end of online learning.
“As far as schools or classrooms being transitioned online, that has happened primarily at the request of local medical health officials, so they’re the authorities that are in the position to declare an outbreak,” he said. “I’m not certain what their criteria is with this change moving forward. To be very honest, their criteria has always been held by health and not necessarily something that we’ve have any influence on.”
SCHOOL DIVISION ADJUSTMENTS
Schools will no longer record and communicate COVID-19 cases with students and parents, but some will still monitor classes for potential shifts to remote learning.
Sean Chase, the director of education for Regina Catholic Schools, said administration will monitor attendance in classrooms.
“If we get to a situation where there’s a significant enough attendance concern for a period of time that just the operational logistics for the classroom would lead us into considering a move to remote learning, we would engage in that conversation,” he said.
Chase said their officials will still be in contact with public health for any advice.
“But, because there’s not contact tracing in place, then we wouldn’t necessarily have information as to the reason for absences being COVID-19. I’m not entirely sure how they’d be able to advise us from that standpoint,” he said.
He added staffing availability would be another factor to consider when it comes to remote learning.
The Prairie Valley School Division (PVSD) said it has advised parents to keep informing the division if their child is sick, but they don’t have to say if it’s COVID-19.
“We have to report when absentee rates reach a certain threshold, I think ten per cent,” Ian Hanna, spokesperson with the PVSD, said in an email. “Then, we monitor closely and accept the advice of public health about what to do next. When it gets to about 30 per cent absenteeism, they start thinking about shifting to remote learning.”
Regina Public Schools said its public health measures such as masking, enhanced cleaning and hand washing will remain in place despite the change to COVID-19 reporting.
“The school division reserves the right to move a class or a school to temporary remote learning if it is prudent to do so for health or operational reasons,” Terry Lazarou, the supervisor of communications, said in an email.
In a post on its website, Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools encouraged guardians to continue reporting absences, including the length of absence if it is known.
It said schools will no longer be sending exposure notifications to parents and caregivers.
“Any classes that are currently online will move back to in-class learning Monday, Jan. 31,” the post reads.
The Saskatchewan School Boards Association, (SSBA) said school divisions have been working more closely with the province over the past few weeks, following a call for more collaboration earlier in January.
“(This decision) certainly does have some impact on our operations and we did get a presentation ahead of the announcement. The directors of education all attended that, so they would have a little bit of time to prepare for the change,” Davidson said. “There is a greater degree of conversations that are taking place now than what there maybe were a little bit ago.”
In a statement, the Ministry of Education said it heard feedback from many parents about their concerns with the former student close contact protocol. It confirmed the meeting with school division directors to inform them of the contact tracing change.
“We know that as case numbers occur in the community, they are also going to occur in our schools and there will be some disruption to in-class learning,” the statement said. “With a layered approached of continued masking, access to rapid tests, increased sanitation, cohorting and students and staff staying home when they are sick, schools are providing as safe a learning environment as possible.”
Regina Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Families are sharing photos and stories of their loved ones, who lost their lives in a mass shooting in Texas that killed at least 19 children and two adults on Tuesday afternoon.
A news conference about the shooting at a Texas elementary school broke into shouting Wednesday as Democratic gubernatorial candidate Beto O'Rourke blamed Republican Gov. Greg Abbott for inaction ahead of the latest in a long string of mass shootings in the state.
The six candidates on the ballot to be the next leader of the Conservative Party of Canada are debating face-to-face in French, in Laval, Que.
Onlookers urged police officers to charge into the Texas elementary school where a gunman's rampage killed 19 children and two teachers, a witness said Wednesday, as investigators worked to track the massacre that lasted upwards of 40 minutes and ended when the 18-year-old shooter was killed by a Border Patrol team.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cancelled plans to appear in person at a Liberal fundraiser in British Columbia Tuesday after RCMP warned an aggressive protest outside the event could escalate if he arrived, said a source close to the decision. The source spoke to The Canadian Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the situation publicly.
Do oil companies control the price of crude? CTVNews.ca asked experts to explain.
Several parts of the country, including British Columbia and Canada's Maritime provinces, are likely to see wetter-than-normal conditions this summer, according to AccuWeather's annual summer forecast.
The Public Health Agency of Canada says it has now confirmed a total of 16 cases of monkeypox in the country, all in Quebec.
A jury in Portland has convicted a self-published romance novelist - who once wrote an essay titled 'How to Murder Your Husband' - of fatally shooting her husband four years ago.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has announced $32 million in funding for long term care in Saskatchewan.
Saskatoon Police Service says that the use and presence of potent new synthetic opioids known as nitazenes are difficult to track and monitor.
A 48-year-old semi-truck driver was killed in in a rollover near Meadow Lake on Tuesday.
The Manitoba Government could turn to the military for help as it struggles with staffing shortages, overcrowding, and in some cases, temporary closures of emergency rooms.
The Manitoba government is hinting it may allow more alcohol sales through private channels to boost customer convenience.
Officers with the Manitoba RCMP are investigating after a 75-year-old man was found dead in the water near a culvert.
Those who haven't receive their bill by the first week of June are asked to contact 311.
The City of Calgary has recruited three people from the commercial real-estate sector in an effort to get a new event centre to replace the aging Scotiabank Saddledome.
Milan Lucic is a veteran of 135 Stanley Cup playoff games and has seen it all through the years. He's been up three games to none in a series and lost. He's also been up three games to one and had to play a seventh game.
Even though they cheer for opposite teams, a proposal by a Flames fan at Game 4 of the Battle of Alberta received a resounding "yes" from the Oilers-loving bride to be.
Edmonton’s School Resource Officer Program has received a passing grade in a new report that was presented to Catholic School Trustees on Wednesday.
Alberta's justice minister is facing criticism for "strange" and "remarkably unhelpful" comments he made in the legislature on Tuesday when an NDP MLA asked him to help fight crime in Chinatown.
Was your home damaged by the Ontario storm? Insurance companies say payouts could take weeks to process
The insurance industry says it could take up to six weeks to get an idea of how many hundreds of millions of dollars in pay outs will be required from the weekend storm that brought death and destruction to Ontario and Quebec, but that early estimates are substantial.
Police have released new video of a recent incident in which a vehicle was caught doing doughnuts and speeding along the shoulder of busy Ontario roadways.
People all across Ontario are getting creative when it comes to netting a secondary income, otherwise known as a “side hustle,” and many are turning to secondhand economies thriving on online platforms.
The president of Hydro Ottawa says "with a little bit of luck" power will be restored along the Merivale Road area on Thursday, bringing power to another 15,000 to 20,000 customers still in the dark following Saturday's storm.
The Ottawa Catholic School Board says all schools with power will be open on Thursday, but 14 schools without power will remain closed.
Out of the tragedy of Saturday’s storm, come stories of people helping each other.
A teardown on Vancouver's west side has been listed for just under $3.5 million, a year after it was purchased by a numbered company for $2.5 million.
A B.C. family has trouble getting their chores done on their farm each morning because of the antics of a pair of unlikely best friends – an elderly miniature horse and a rambunctious young golden retriever.
The City of Vancouver and the Squamish Nation have signed a services agreement for the 11-tower Sen̓áḵw development in Kitsilano.
Quebec politicians were not pleased with the federal Liberals' comments on Bill 96 and Bill 21, firing back with a slew of protests and even raising sovereignty as the solution.
Quebec's public health department is set to give its first press conference on the growing monkeypox outbreak as the province recorded its 16th confirmed case Wednesday.
Montreal police says it is working to dismantle a 'major amphetamine trafficking and production network.'
Authorities are investigating Wednesday after the body of a porpoise was discovered on a beach near Victoria.
Victoria police say three men were arrested after a random bear spray attack occurred on Monday.
A British Columbia company that was once at the forefront of the booming plant-based meats industry is shuttering stores and production plants as it struggles to survive.
As the inquiry into Nova Scotia’s mass shooting moves its public proceedings to Truro, many of the family members affected by the tragedy and their lawyers are boycotting the proceedings over the next week.
Former Chief Anchor Steve Murphy offers a timely perspective on the Mass Casualty Commission and the difference 30 years after the Westray inquiry.
Two more people have been charged with murder in connection with a fatal house fire in Nova Scotia’s Yarmouth County in March. Three people have now been charged in the case.
Health care appears to be one of the bigger issues for voters along the North Shore as they get set to cast ballots in Algoma-Manitoulin.
A candidate in the provincial election in Greater Sudbury has been named in a $306 million lawsuit related to last winter's trucker convoy in Ottawa.
The partnership between the Sudbury Theatre Centre and YES Theatre has many people wondering what it means for arts in the city -- and why it was put in place without consulting the arts community first.
New details are emerging about the tragic incident that killed 27-year-old Shelby Humble-Neale on Saturday.
Waterloo regional police say evidence of gunfire found in McLennan Park in Kitchener is connected to another shooting incident in the nearby area of Windflower Drive and Windflower Crescent.
Two 29-year-old men have been seriously injured following a collision in Baden, Ont., with one needing to be airlifted to a hospital outside the region.