LATEST VIDEOS FROM CTV REGINA
SaskPower meter catches fire; ground shifts blamed
Published Tuesday, August 1, 2017 8:09AM CST
Last Updated Tuesday, August 1, 2017 11:53AM CST
Another SaskPower meter has caught fire in Regina.
Fire crews were called to a home on the 100 block of Rink Avenue after the meter burst into flames around 7:30 p.m. Monday.
The fire damaged the meter, as well as the side of the house and a nearby window frame.
No one was injured, and a damage estimate has not been released.
It’s the sixth incident in which a SaskPower meter has caught fire in the past two weeks.
SaskPower says ground shifts due to extremely dry conditions are pulling wires from power boxes.
Over the past 10 days, SaskPower has inspected about 2,000 homes it has identified as at risk. They are mostly older homes with underground power service in Regina’s Normanview, Uplands and Glencairn neighbourhoods.
SaskPower says about 40 per cent of homes inspected have needed repairs. The Crown-owned utility aims to inspect about 9,000 homes in total.