Dog dies of poisoning, police requesting information
Police are looking for information after reports of a dog dying after its owners say it was poisoned in a park.
Police say they don’t know if the dog was poisoned by accident or if it was on purpose.
According to police, there were rumours of a dog poisoning on Facebook earlier this week. The owner told police the dog was sick on July 18 and died two days later. Police say a vet confirmed the dog had ingested rabbit poison, but it's not known how the dog ingested the poison or what it contained.
“It doesn’t happen very often. Probably in the past ten years, we had one summer where we had a few instances where we believe that dogs ingested poison, it’s really quite rare, but a concerning event and very emotional,” Elizabeth Popowich with RPS said.
Police believe the dog ingested the poison in the Wascana View neighbourhood park on July 18, but have not been able to confirm a time or location of the incident.
Dog owners are reminded to keep their pets on a leash, and police say people should pay extra attention for any unknown substances while walking or playing with dogs outside.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police or Crime Stoppers.