Liz's Slow Cooker Ground Beef or Venison Stew
From One Loaf at a Time/One Bowl at a Time: The Recipes that Brought us Together While We Remained Apart During COVID-19 (available at www.cjkatz.com and select bookstores near you)
- 1 lb ground beef or venison, browned in a skillet, drained
- 3-4 potatoes, cut into large cubes
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 onion, large dice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth, or water, or more to just barely cover the stew
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Whatever vegetables you have on hand such as turnips, parsnips, or mushrooms
- 2 handfuls fresh chopped herbs such as sage, parsley, basil, or oregano
In a slow cooker, add the browned ground beef or venison, potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, beef broth, salt, pepper, onion powder, oregano and bay leaf. Pour over the ingredients in the slow cooker; add additional water to just barely cover. Stir well. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Do not remove the lid during the cooking time. If the stew is watery, remove the lid about an hour before serving; turn the slow cooker to high and let it simmer to cook off some of the liquid. Just before serving, stir in the fresh chopped herbs.
Serve in a bowl with crusty bread.