The mother of a Yorkton teenager who has been missing since April says it’s unlike her daughter to not be in contact with family.

Paula Bali says the family is “incredibly distraught” that they have not heard from 17-year-old Mekayla Bali since she was dropped off at school on the morning of April 12.

“It is entirely out of character for her not to be in contact with her family,” Paula said, noting her daughter just turned 17 this week.

“Mekayla, 17 years ago, my first whispered words to you were ‘it’s mommy and you against the world. I will always love and protect you.’ That vow has not changed over time.”

At a news conference Friday in Regina, RCMP provided an update on the case for the first time since early May. Insp. Jennifer Ebert provided media with a timeline of the missing girl’s whereabouts on the day she disappeared.

Bali was last seen by her family on April 12, when her grandmother dropped her off at Sacred Heart High School at 8:20 a.m. Ten minutes later, she left the school and walked to several businesses in Yorkton, including Terry’s Pawn and Bargain and TD Bank. She also made two trips to the Tim Hortons on Broadway Street East.

Police say there is a gap in the timeline. Mekayla left Tim Hortons at 10:45 a.m. and walked around the area of Seventh Avenue and Broadway Street. She re-entered Sacred Heart High School around noon, then left 10 minutes later. She then walked to the Trail Stop restaurant and bus depot on First Avenue North.

According to witnesses, she purchased a meal at the restaurant, but did not board a bus.

In May, Mounties released a sketch of a man with a distinct tattoo on his arm. Investigators believe the unknown man may have been with Mekayla at the bus depot. RCMP stressed that the man is not a suspect, but rather someone they wish to speak with.

RCMP say while there is no indication of foul play, they must make contact with Mekayla to ensure she is safe.

Police believe Mekayla is still in the country, as there’s no evidence that she has a passport. Investigators working on the case have conducted more than 100 interviews, and more than 30 agencies and specialized units have been involved in the investigation.

Anyone with information that could help in the investigation is asked to contact RCMP or Crime Stoppers.