Sask. plans for carbon monoxide detectors after senior's death
Currently carbon monoxide detectors are only mandatory in newly built homes.
HUMBOLDT, Sask. - Saskatchewan is moving to install carbon monoxide detectors in all health-care facilities after a man at a seniors home died from exposure to the gas.
Duncan Fisher, with the Ministry of Health, says facilities across the province are being canvassed to find out if they have monitoring equipment and those that don't will get the devices as quickly as possible.
There's currently no legislative requirement in Saskatchewan for carbon monoxide monitoring in health care facilities.
The province is in the process of adopting the new 2010 national building code which makes carbon monoxide detectors mandatory for health care facilities.
Fisher says the ministry won't wait and will make sure there are detectors in both new and existing facilities.
The man who died was among 24 residents of St. Mary's Villa in Humboldt who were forced from the home on Boxing Day because of a leak in a boiler.