LATEST VIDEOS FROM CTV REGINA
Gas leak prompts evacuation in downtown Regina
A natural gas leak prompted the evacuation of a downtown block in Regina on Tuesday morning.
Published Tuesday, October 18, 2016 11:12AM CST
Last Updated Tuesday, October 18, 2016 2:32PM CST
A natural gas leak prompted an evacuation in downtown Regina on Tuesday morning.
SaskEnergy says an above-ground gas line was damaged after a vehicle crashed into a garbage disposal bin in an alley near the 1800 block of Hamilton Street around 10:30 a.m.
The impact of the crash pushed the bin into a pipe that supplies natural gas to the Leader Building. SaskEnergy and fire crews were called after a strong odour of natural gas was detected in the area.
The building was evacuated as a precaution and streets were closed in the area. The evacuation was lifted just before 11:30 a.m. after the gas leak was contained, and the area has since reopened to traffic.
A four-block area around the scene was without gas service until repairs were completed around 2:30 p.m.
Police say the driver of the vehicle involved in the crash, a man in his 30s, was not injured. He has been charged under the Traffic Safety Act with driving without due care and attention.