The hot, dry weather conditions this summer have kept SaskPower crews busy.

Another SaskPower meter started smoking Saturday afternoon at a home in the 2100 block of East Wagman Drive, after ground shifting pulled the meter’s wires away from the meter box.

The meter did not catch fire, as it was connected to an aluminum wire, which melted and stopped conducting electricity when the meter started smoking.

SaskPower said it immediately shut off power to the east Regina neighbourhood while crews repaired the meter.

Older, SaskPower meters connected to copper, underground wires are known to cause fires when the wires are pulled by ground shifting. So far this summer, there have been nine incidents of meters catching fire in Regina.