LATEST VIDEOS FROM CTV REGINA
Defence challenges decision to deny violent offender rehab for Leflar's killer
Published Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:46AM CST
Last Updated Thursday, May 18, 2017 2:38PM CST
A decision to deny one of Hannah Leflar’s killers entry to a rehabilitation program for violent young offenders should be reconsidered, a lawyer for the teenager argued Thursday.
The teen’s application to the Intense Rehabilitation Custody Sentence (IRCS) program was denied in March. The program offers additional services to violent young offenders with mental health issues, in hopes of reducing their risk of future violence.
At the eighth day of a sentencing hearing in Regina, a lawyer for the teen argued the process that resulted in the denial is “awful” and lacking in transparency. The defence asked the judge to force the program’s director to reconsider the decision.
The judge hasn’t made a decision yet, saying she wants time to carefully consider it.
Meanwhile, the Crown asked the judge for permission to bring in reply evidence to testimony provided by a witness for the defence Wednesday.
Dr. Terry Nicholiachuck testified that if the teen is sentenced as an adult, he would have virtually no access to any mental-health programs.
However, the Crown says that testimony isn’t true, and wants to bring in a witness from Correctional Service Canada to speak to the programs offered in federal prisons.
The judge agreed to hear more, saying she was quote "taken aback" by the doctor’s evidence. She told the court she found the evidence very influential.
Court is expected to hear the reply evidence Friday, followed by victim-impact statements. The Crown says some family members will read their own statements, while others will be read by the Crown. Some of the statements will only be submitted to the judge for consideration.
Leflar, 16, was found dead in her Regina home in January 2015.
The Crown is seeking an adult sentence for the teen, who pleaded guilty to first-degree murder earlier this year.
A second teen, who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, is expected to be sentenced in September. He originally faced a charge of first-degree murder.